Header Ads

LUI$A IS HERE












  • Hi Luisa, how are you! Is it Lui$a ( with tha dollar sign ) or is that dropping from the name because on YouTube is just Luisa? How that came about or simply to distinct yourself from other Luisas .

Yes, my stage name is simply LUI$A. The dollar sign means being able to hustle on your own and make your own “dough”, it makes me feel influential. My instagram handle is luisawithadollarsign to make it easer for people to find my music and search my profile.

  • So, where are you right now and what are you working on? 

  • Since there is a pandemic going on, I couldn’t really go overseas in my hometown in New York or in Los Angeles to work on my music, collab with different artists and go to music summer school. So, while I’m at home in Kosovo, I am working immensely in my dad’s studio. My songwriting and producing skills are getting better and better each day! I finalized my EP a while ago and am super excited to release it this year!
  • Your first EP! That’s something as amazing as critical, because this is your official debut to the world and you know what they say about first impressions. What do you think people should expect when they “meet’ you in this EP?

This EP gives you all the vibes you need during this pandemic.The EP is titled “Limelight” and is inspired by the late 80s ballroom and club culture in New York. "Limelight" used to be a club in New York where everyone felt free to express themselves. The club kids, artists, models, painters, musicians all made the Limelight a safe space for the attendees like Madonna, Grace Jones, Jean-Michel Basquiat and Andy Warhol. The songs represent each attendee, being special in their own way and varying from each other. Ever since I came up with the Limelight concept, I fell in love with the idea of it. It is who I truly am. With this project I try to celebrate diversity, love, music and creativity. I want to target all audiences (because this is one of the reasons of why I make music). That’s why all the songs are so different from one another, they represent diversity and variety, everyone can relate to at least one of them.I think this project is an excellent representation of me and my music, it really shows my personality and shows how I am able to present myself visually and musically.

  • When I first heard “finna dye ur hair back to brown now lmfao” and “Park Avenue”, they became instant faves. Not only that, but I was so caught by the voice, the beat and everything else. Because when I saw the $ sign then lmfao on the title, I was like “Ok, she’s funny” then clicked play and oh WOW! Hold on…

WOW, I’ve really come a long way! From making beats in my bedroom bed with a tiny midi synth to really dedicating my life to music and actually working professionally in that field. I started making beats in the 6th or 7th grade and I remember how badly I wanted to be a DJ, not knowing that I could write songs and actually produce a whole song. I started making music at a really young age (probably 11-12 years old when I started making beats) and I still take music theory, production and songwriting classes. I think that practice makes perfect and it’s never too late to learn about the things you are passionate about. 


 



  • Your music reminds me of several faves of mine such as Lolo Zouaï, Dounia, Sigrid, early Mabel, that category. What are your music preferences, where you see yourself going with the music in the next years?  

I have a really questionable music taste honestly, I listen to everything pretty much, from experimental electronic musicians like Sega Bodega and Shygirl to funk bands like Kool and the Gang and Earth, Wind & Fire to Shoreline Mafia to Ravyn Lenae to Sevdaliza and the list goes on… I think I’m going to experiment a lot with my musical style because I’m still young and I like every genre, so it’s pretty hard for me to stick with one genre right now. I love blending sounds and creating new ones,  I think music is limitless and you should just go crazy with it to be honest!

  • Then there are follow ups Blue and Gemstones, both as fantastic! And knowing that you write and compose your owns song is such a huge plus in this industry. Do you remember the first song you wrote ?  Have you written anything for other artists? 

I wrote songs since I was a kid, I remember the first time I wrote one I was 5 years old and I still have a recording of that song.  When I started making beats I always wrote something to top it but never really cared about the lyrics, I was more focused on the instrumental side of my music. After a while, I started songwriting, I guess experience, reading, researching and writing skills have helped me become a good songwriter.Yes, I have a few demos that I wrote for other people but nothing major. I am focusing on my own musical path right now.

  • Are you signed to any label?

Not right now, hopefully this pandemic is over and I get to send my music to record labels.


  •   


  •  Any live performances later this year when things get better? Maybe a promotional tour for the EP?

I adore performing, dancing and live music in general, but as I mentioned earlier, hopefully this pandemic is over and I get to perform on my own shows, festivals and concerts. I love traveling and performing, jet lag doesn’t affect me at all, so expect that my performances after the pandemic are going to be super energetic and fun.

  • What would you tell your future-self, so we can remind you in the next interview with us? 

Stay true to yourself and don’t let anything or anybody affect your creativity.


©️Albanac 06/2021








Limelight EP by Lui$a is out now on Apple Music and all other platforms.  



Powered by Blogger.