Emily in Paris...or is she?



First impression you’ll get watching Emily in Paris is how stereotypical and cliche the show seems. One might say borderline xenophobic  (be it Americans or French) painted in beautiful clothes and sceneries. Then, you kind of start reminiscing about the first years you moved to another country and realize…is not that far fetched. Oh, I should know! Like when she shows up early at work. Same here, but different. I remember being asked to come at 6 and I was like PM? And he was like, hmmm A.M? We open at 7 lol And I was like…WHY? Looool Then there was that time I went to get a haircut and ended up with my hair dyed. Well, I showed the hairstylist a photo of the haircut I wanted, she thought I meant the color as well aaaaand lost in translation, I got my hair red. Well, part of it, I stopped her on time. Still…hilarious! There’s plenty of moments like these that make you look stupid… bwt I actually been called that too. This idiot I worked with, after I corrected her about something, was like “Oh, you’re not actually stupid!” And I’m looking at her like "TF you said?" And she explains, how when she asks me certain things, I don’t understand. I’m like, because I freaking don’t, can’t you tell how bad my English is like tf (it’s weird how fluently you speak when pissed). I’m trying to say, if you start watching the show in that perspective, it makes more sense and it becomes funnier. It’s not about an American trying to stereotype everything French, rather than an expat trying to adopt in another country’s culture, habits, work discipline etc. Le voila!  There’s a thing I’ve noticed though, throughout the 4 seasons. This show could have taken place anywhere. It says she is in Paris but, is she really? Here’s me making a case for it: 



How is this bish 4 seasons in France and still can’t finish a sentence. Blah blah blah croissant. GUUUURL! If you can’t learn (at least) communicate in 6-12 months, just leave. And she’s surrounded by French, so it should have been way easier for her, but nope. Au revoir bish! 



I mean her boss came for like two episodes and spoke more French than her. HoWuh! Also, don’t understand this choice since the actress in real life actually speaks French. I mean…please explain here_______________. Wasn’t she taking French classes? Oh, yeah, I forgot, that was just a plot to make immigrants look bad, so you can understand the difference between immigrants and expats. Immigrants bad, expats good! Gotcha!  



Where’s her family? We literally got to see Sylvie’s mother…like, who’d expect her mother was alive lol, but there she is. Yet, we don’t get to see none of Emily’s family. You’re telling me, she been living in Paris…THE PARIS and none of her family and friends want to visit or just check on her? LOL! Currently, Chicago to Paris, round trip is like $600 -$700 I know they can afford that. How doesn’t she have a best friend? Not even a cat! Weird.  And is not like she’s 30yo or something, she’s like 25. Not a single soul cares about her and how’s she’s doing in another country? They know she can’t speak French. If something happened to her, what she gonna do? Oh le doctor le pain le feel le bad? Nobody worried about this? OK! Well, we got to see her bf so cross this out. 



Her wardrobe doesn’t make no sense. She changes like 4 times a day, which even by French movie standards is way too much. And she lives in a studio? And that’s her clothing rack? The math ain’t mathing. Where does she store them? Oh…I’m not even going to ask how can she afford them, because I know she can’t. The idea is she rents them. LOL!  You should check rental prices. It’s easier to believe she buys them. Also…she lives with a roommate.  Where does SHE stack her clothes? Is everybody renting shit lol 



Four seasons in and everybody around her speaks English. You’d think, is the second official language in France. It’s funnier, because everybody knows French love it when you speak English to them. Oh yeah! Let’s conduct our meetings with billion dollar clients in another language and have the clients as well speak English because this bish can’t seem to learn French … or they could just fire her. Imagine in US (or any country), telling your boss or a client to speak a foreign language because there’s Emily…and she…oh why even bother explaining. 



I am all for camp and people wearing whatever they like, but … but but but forget France. She is in Europe. People will read you at anyyyytime, anyyyplaaaaceee I don’t care who’s arouuuuunddd … Love that Janet Jackson song. As I was saying. They WILL read you! And what she mostly wears is not French, or American. It is something though. 


 

I mean...translate this. How many layers is she even wearing? 


This one is one of the things I can’t comprehend. How we’re in season 4 and literally there’s nothing specific about a current French trend in... I don’t know, fashion, music, food, social life etc. We get the basics: croissant, beret, Eifel tower, champagne, merci lol but guuuurl this is Paris. Certainly there’s “some” excitement happening there. Stop giving us AMI. And to think the writers spent months in Paris to learn about the city and culture. Well, at least I learned, the French love leeks. I’ll give them that.    



I know this was supposed to be funny, but medieval times this is not. A letter? A LeTteR? With the company logo? To her client? For personal matters? Nope, France and the rest of Europe is not different from US. You might get a message on WhatsApp but a letter? Unless you’re friend to the queen, you ain’t gettin shit. Funny altogether though.



How is everybody fucking a millionaire, billionaire on this show? Asking for myself. Yeah, Mindy’s artist bf is poor, but Mindy isn’t. So, he’s also fucking a billionaire. Won’t be surprised if he comes up with some kind of inheritance and bam! Millionaire as well. Isn’t she lucky enough to find someone who speaks English, but loaded too? And good looking? And cheap? Lol How they got billionaire bf, letting them stay in that tiny studio? In EUROPE? lol Nuuuh! Mindy’s billionaire was ashamed she was showing too much. Bruh, she is homeless. You’re dating a homeless! Worry about that. And they brush it off so easily. Oh, I met this guy, he owns half of France and he fell in love with me. OK delulu! File under Grimm Brothers. 


Well, the idea was that she moved to France because she’s excellent in what she does, then they show us her ideas such as “Le Leek c’est Chic!” Ughhh! I’d hate to elaborate. Of course all the French love her ideas, no matter how banal they are and everything becomes a hit and Sylvie with a full ass vampire experience is just sitting there Bravo! Lol  Makes you wonder how bad the advertising market must be in France to even allow her to think this is somehow close to normal. It is not! She wouldn’t make it past the parking lot. If she would be allowed to park. Oh, yeah she walks everywhere. In stilettos. On cobblestones. Brave! 



When it comes to diversity Paris is not different from NYC or Chicago, yet watching the show it feels like it takes place in Poland. Sure, its casting is diverse, but “the city” itself doesn’t seem like the most diverse city in Europe. You never get that Paris vibe. Is so curated, romanticized and you can’t help but notice it in almost every episode. Clearly choices were made lmao. 

Powered by Blogger.